“Home is the person or place you want to return to over and over.”
Lately I’ve been thinking about what makes a house feel like “home.”
I’ve figured out what it’s not.
It’s not an address.
It’s not things; neither high thread count sheets nor designer furniture make a place feel like home.
And it’s certainly not the same for everyone.
For me, home is a place that reflects not only personal style but also personal beliefs. It’s about comfort above everything but not just the kind of comfort you get from slipping into soft sheets with your favorite pillow.
More importantly it’s the comfort gleaned from the person you share that bed with and the family that makes your home — no matter big or small, luxurious or simple — the place you always yearn to return to.
And speaking of yearning, here are a few things I’m coveting this week.
1) Regal headboards. I’m drawn to detailed headboards, many of which call to mind royal sleeping chambers. Clearly I haven’t given up on being treated like a queen. You shouldn’t either.
2) Chandeliers. Not just for dining rooms any more. Every bedroom needs a chandelier. Obviously.
3) Stools. Forget benches, chaise lounges and fainting couches. There will be stools at the end of my bed. Very soon.
4) Color. I’m not as drawn to pink as I expected. At first, this revelation was alarming until I made peace with the fact that bedroom décor can absolutely be ultra feminine without being drenched in fuchsia, peony and magenta.
5) Quotes. My obsession with staying inspired continues so I’m loving the idea of black chalkboard paint on an accent wall. That way, I can change the quotes in my room as often as I change my mood. And that’s a lot.
Subscribe to Live Beautifully via email or RSS for tips on living beautifully.